Gender Reassignment Board

How to apply

You must lodge your application by filling out the application form and posting it or delivering it in person to the Executive Officer.

If you need to make your application by fax or email with attachments, you must first contact the Board who will advise whether this can be done in your particular case and what, if any, requirements there are for confidentiality and verification purposes.

You will need to attach to your application form original and certified copies of the following documents:

  • A letter from the medical practitioner who carried out or supervised your reassignment procedure. The letter should contain details of the reassignment procedure, including where and when it was carried out if it was a surgical procedure. If it was a medical procedure such as hormonal therapy, the letter should contain details of what changes have occurred.

  • A letter from a psychiatrist, psychologist or other recognised counsellor confirming that you have had counselling on your reassignment.

  • A letter from any other medical professional who has been involved in your reassignment procedure.

  • Your birth certificate or extract of entry of birth.

  • Any documents relating to a change of name.

  • Photo Identification.

  • If you were not born in Western Australia, documents confirming that you have been resident here for at least 12 months.

  • Letters of support from person(s) known to you such as family, friends or colleagues that you are now recognised as female or male in your daily life. The letters should address how they know you, for how long, in what capacity and address that you present as either a female or male and are accepted by them and others as female or male, and anything else they wish to add. Two or three letters should suffice and they should be signed and dated.

The fee to apply for a certificate must be paid when you apply. The current fee is on the application form. The fee can be waived in demonstrated cases of hardship.

What if I don’t have all the documentation?

If you do not have all the documentation, you will still be able to apply for a recognition certificate. It is likely that the Board will not issue a recognition certificate unless you attend before the Board and explain in person the reasons for the lack of documentation. It will then be up to the Board to decide whether there is sufficient evidence to issue a recognition certificate.

What happens to my information?

No person connected with the Board is permitted to divulge any information about an application, except as required in the course of that person's official duties.

Last updated: 30-Sep-2020

[ back to top ]