Gender Reassignment Board

How to apply

You must lodge your application by filling out the application form and posting it, delivering it in person or emailing it to the Executive Officer of the State Administrative Tribunal.


Postal Address: GPO Box U1991, Perth, WA 6845

Building Location: Level 6/565 Hay Street, Perth, WA 6000

Email Address:


The Gender Reassignment Act 2000 requires the Board to be satisfied based on information provided by the applicant, that the applicant has adopted the lifestyle and gender characteristics of the gender to which the person has reassigned and has received proper counselling in relation to this gender identity. Other legislative requirements may relate to age, identity, your location of birth, your current residency and location of reassignment procedure.

For these legislative requirements to be met, an applicant submitting an application to the Board will need to submit the following documentation:

  • A letter from the medical practitioner who carried out or supervised your reassignment procedure. The letter should contain details of the reassignment procedure, including where and when it was carried out if it was a surgical procedure. If it was a medical procedure such as hormonal therapy, the letter should contain details of what changes have occurred.

  • A letter from a psychiatrist, psychologist or other recognised counsellor confirming that you have had counselling on your reassignment.

  • A letter from any other medical professional who has been involved in your reassignment procedure.

  • Letters of support from person(s) known to you such as family, friends or colleagues that you are now recognised as female or male in your daily life. The letters should address how they know you, for how long, in what capacity and address that you present as either a female or male and are accepted by them and others as female or male, and anything else they wish to add. Two or three letters should suffice and they should be signed and dated.

  • A certified copy of your birth certificate or extract of entry of birth.

  • A certified copy of any documents relating to a change of name.

  • A certified copy of any form of Photo Identification. This could be in the form of a driver's license, passport, student identification card.

  • If you were not born in Western Australia, documents confirming that you have been resident here for at least 12 months. These documents could include rental lease agreements, utility bills or employment contracts.

The fee to apply for a certificate must be paid when you apply. The current fee is on the application form. The fee can be waived in demonstrated cases of hardship.

What if I don’t have all the documentation?

If you have concerns that your documentation does not meet the legislative requirements, please contact the Board. You may then be given information about what is required or you could have the opportunity to explain at the meeting in person the reasons for the lack of documentation. It will then be up to the Board to decide whether there is sufficient evidence to issue a recognition certificate.

What happens to my information?

No person connected with the Board is permitted to divulge any information about an application, except as required in the course of that person's official duties.

Last updated: 10-Jan-2022

[ back to top ]